Dr. Purnima Awasthi
Residence: AN 13 & 25/1, C-6 SHRI SAI APARTMENT, TARIYA, KARAUNDI VARANASI, 221005
|Sl. No.|| Degree|| Institution|| Year|
|1 ||P. G.|| BHU ||1993|
|2 ||M.Phil/Ph.D.|| BHU ||2000|
A. Teaching experience (in years): 13 years
Areas of specialization: Health Psychology, Clinical Psychology, Rehabilitation
Psychology, Adolescence Psychology
B. Number of M. Phil/Ph. D supervised: 3
C. Number of publications (National/International): 15
D. Major publications (selected):
1. Awasthi, P. & Mishra, R. C. (2013). Can Social Support and Control Agency Change Illness Consequences? Evidence from Cervix Cancer Patients. Open Journal of Medical
Psychology, 2, 115-123.
2. Awasthi, P. & Mishra, R. C. (2011). Social support as a factor in perceived illness
consequences, controllability and outcome beliefs of diabetic women. Social Science
International, vol.27, 1, 1-14.
3. Awasthi, P. & Mishra, R. C. (2011). Illness beliefs and coping strategies of diabetic women. Psychological Studies, 56, 176-184.
4. Awasthi, P. & Yadav, H. (2009). Behavioral mechanisms and psychosocial factors in
HIV disease progression. Indian Journal of Social Science Researches, 2, 87-100.
5. Awasthi, P., Mishra, R. C. & Shahi U. P. (2006). Health beliefs and behavior of cervix cancer patients. Psychology and Developing Societies, 1, 37-58.
Book published: Saxena, S. & Awasthi, P. (2009). Leadership. New Delhi: PHI.
E. Research projects
Indian Council of Social Science Research, "Understanding and Management of Some Critical Health Problems in an Underdeveloped Kharwar
Community" (Principle investigator)
F. Conference/symposia/seminars attended
1. "Health Outcomes of Proactive Coping & Self-Regulation" at the 2nd International Conference on Recent Advances in Cognition and Health organized by SAP-DRS, Department of Psychology, B.H.U., Varanasi on 23-25 January 2014.
2. "Psychosocial Skills, Burnout and Mental Health of Female Teachers" at the National Conference on Management & Technology for Skill Development: Innovative Approaches organized by SMS Varanasi & PhD Chamber, Progress Harmony Development on 22-23 February 2014.
3. "Social Support & Illness Beliefs of Women Cancer Patients from Urban & Rural Social Network
Urban" at the International Conference on Dynamics, Environment & Health: Challenge for the Twenty First Century organized by (28-30 Dec. 2013) Department of Geography, Faculty of Science, B.H.U., Varanasi on 28-30 December 2013.
4. "Subjective Wellbeing & Post Traumatic Growth of Cervix Cancer Patients in Relation to Illness Beliefs &
Optimism" at the symposium on Health & Illness: Concepts, Issues, Practices & Policy Department of Humanities & Social Sciences, IIT, Kanpur on 11-12 November 2013.
5. "Life Satisfaction, Optimism & Post Traumatic Growth in Rural Cancer
Patients" at the National Seminar on Geographical Perspective of Development organized by Department of Geography, F.S.S., B.H.U., Varanasi, Sponsored by Planning Commission, Government of India on 6 May 2013.
6. "Causal Attribution of Women for Cancer" at the National Seminar on Mediating Marginalities organized by Centre for Women’s Studies and Development, F.S.S., B.H.U., Varanasi on 13-14 March 2012.
7. "Health beliefs, Treatment Decision and Happiness of Kharwar Women" at the International Seminar on Understanding Minorities in India and Canada organized by Canadian Studies Development Program, Department of Political Science, F.S.S., B.H.U., Varanasi on 25-26 February 2012.
8. "Medication Adherence and Outcome Expectancies in HIV/AIDS Patients" at the International Conference on Recent Advances in Cognition and Health organized by SAP-DRS-1, Department of Psychology, F.S.S., B.H.U., Varanasi on 23-24 January 2012.
9. "Perceived Social Support, Illness Control, & Illness Consequences Beliefs in Cervix Cancer
Patients" at the International Conference on Social Justice & Human Development organized by Centre of Advanced Study, Department of Psychology, University of Allahabad on 18-20 December 2011.
10. "Illness Beliefs, Subjective Well-being & Post Traumatic Growth in Cervix Cancer
Patients" at the 21st Annual Convention of National Academy of Psychology & International Conference on Human Development & Poverty: Alternative Conceptualization & Measurement organized by the Institute of Rural Management, Anand, Gujarat on 12-14 December 2011.
11. "Decision-Making, Religious Beliefs, & QoL among Slum Dwellers: An
Overview" at the International Seminar Lohia’s Visions & Challenges of the 21st Century organized by F.S.S., B.H.U., Varanasi on 10-12 October 2011.
12. "Rumination and Psychological Problems in Women: An Overview" at the UGC sponsored National Seminar on The Relevance of Social Norms in Modern Times organized by the Department of Sociology, D.A.V., P. G. College, Varanasi on 22-23 February 2011.
13. "Approach and Avoidance Coping Strategies, and Illness Consequences, Controllability and Outcome Beliefs of Diabetic
Women" at the 46th National and 15th International Conference of the Indian Academy of Applied Psychology (IIAP) on Life Skills for Quality of Life organized by the Department of Studies in Psychology, University of Mysore, Manasagangotri, Mysore, Karnataka, India on 4 -6 February 2011.
14. "Sustainable Behavior and Dimensions of Personal Wellbeing" at the international conference on Managing Sustainable Development of Rural Economy (ICONBHU11) held at B.H.U., Varanasi on 21- 23 January 2011.
15. "Ruminative Thought Style as a Strategy to Emotion Regulation and Depression in
Adolescents" at the National Conference on Guidance & Counseling for the Stress-Ridden Youth: The Present Day Need of the Society organized by Department of Psychology, Arya Mahila Post Graduate College, Varanasi on 22nd November 2010.
16. "Spirituality and Well-Being in Health Care Settings" at the National Conference on Spirituality and Ethics in Management, organized by Centre for Spiritualism and Human Enrichment, School of Management Sciences, Varanasi on 30-31 October 2010.
G. Courses and papers taught:
Basic Psychological Processes
Psychology of Personal Growth & Wellbeing
Positive Psychology and Personal Growth
Advance Social Psychology
Culture and Human Behavior
Psychological Interventions: Humanistic and Psychoanalytic
Psychology of Personal Growth & Wellbeing
Prevention & Management of Specific Problems
H. Academic/ professional membership
National Academy of Psychology, B.H.U.
I. Administrative responsibilities held
Served as a Procter in the Proctorial Board of B.H.U., Varanasi from January 2012 to October 2014
J. Honors and awards received
Second position in MA
Served as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychology, Faculty of Education in University of Asmara, Eritrea, Africa form 2002 to 2005.